Friday, May 31, 2013

No-Knead Bread Experiment #2, Part 2

Same recipe as the last time, no modification. This experiment is seeing what happens with different rising methods. The previous test had the dough rise in an oven for 90 minutes, then 30 outside the oven. This time I did the rising 100% outside the oven, for 2 hours. I'd like to think it turned out pretty well!

GRADES:
Crust: B
Crumb: C
Taste: B
Overall: B-
The only thing keeping this crust from being an A is that it was a bit too tough. I suspect that's due to the cooking method, and if I used a heated stone or something along those lines instead of a dutch oven I'd see better results. The crumb was light and fluffy, but mostly closed. However on one third it opened up; had the entire crumb been roughly that open or consistently closed I would have given it a B, but sadly the inconsistency means I'm going to have to keep it at a C. The taste was fairly bland, in part due to the low amount of salt I use in the recipe. As such it's not supposed to have a strong taste. Even so it should be a pleasant bland taste, as opposed to a boring bland taste. Overall I was fairly satisfied with the bread. I'm going to post something other then a loaf of bread tomorrow, then try out a new cooking method with the Dutch Oven on Sunday using this same recipe. Next week will be pretty much all Sourdough I think, as my starter's starting to look stabilized.

No comments:

Post a Comment