Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Second No-Knead Bread Experiment #1

Sorry for the forgetting the last two updates. I've been busy with some rather time consuming reading and I'm afraid to say just forgot to write up posts.So I decided to start a second experment with no-knead bread. My first experiment was on the effect of hydration in the dough. This time I'll be changing how I let the bread rise after shaping.

The recipe will remain the same in each trial.
400g Bread Flour
260g water
1 tsp salt
1/8th tsp active dry yeast
I put the yeast and 200g of water into a bowl and stirred them up, then let them sit for 5-10 minutes while I gathered the rest of the ingredients. I then put the flour in with the water and yeast, then mixed until most of the flour and water was combined. I put the rest of the water and the salt in, then thoroughly mixed the dough until it was all combined into a fairly sticky ball. I put it into my rising box for 16 hours, during which time the dough rose to about two and a half times it's regular size. I turned it out onto a floured surface and folded it several times, then shaped the dough into a round.

It is at this point that I'll be varying the process. For this loaf I put the dough into a 150 degree oven to rise for 90 minutes, then room temperature for a half an hour while the oven and dutch oven pre-heated. As I expected this caused the dough to rise to pretty much as large as it could get while in the oven, meaning the loaf was fairly flat and had poor oven spring. I suspect if I'd raised it at a lower temperature the result would have been fairly different.

Have some pictures!



Grades:
Crust: C
Crumb: C
Taste: B
Overall: C+
Part 2 will go up on Friday, with it finishing on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment